Friday, March 24, 2006
A day of jazz, a night of dance!
The good thing about working in a number of different areas is that you get to meet the most varied of people! I spent the early part of the day hanging with an experienced local jazz musician, had four of cork's most promising young Dance DJ's on the radio at night and spent the early hours of this morning with another few U.S. hip-hoppers back at their hotel!
I'll review the hip-hop gig in a separate blog in a moment but first up it's da jazzzzz! Martin Vallehy has been around cork making music and giggin for years. I met him through my good friend Mark O'Sullivan who is now a highly successful DJ and producer in Stockholm. Martin gave me his new album awhile back and I've been listening to it loads. It was recorded with some excellent jazz musicians from around the world and it was entirely written by himself.
It reminds me of some of the early 80's crossover electronic jazz stuff by the likes of Bob James, music that hip-hop heads like myself go crazy about! I'm a huge jazz fan anyway and I'm blown away by the fact that an album of this quality is on our doorstep and totally unsigned! I'm on a mission to spread the word so you'll be hearing more from Martin, who's always a pleasure to hang out with, even though I nearly caught a cold outside Le Cheile becaue he wanted to smoke a fag! The miserable Cork weather further damaged my vibe as the outdoor area in the Bodega had a small leak but as we swapped tales of legendary jazz gigs, rare Horslips records and our respect for Charlie Mingus (such nimble fingers!) , the time flew and I suddenly was rushing to work!
Red Drive flew and myself and RedFM Production legend had a bit of a laugh off the air with regard to our kidnapping of receptionist Val's pet mascot Wilson (long story, safe to say that I'm easily amused!!!!) The Music Overload was excellent once again, with four young DJ's (check the DJ mafia in our boardroom above!) joining me for Teenage Thursdays. Only Alan F and Dingey (with me in the pic) were on, but Hoopy and Myers came up for a look at the studio too and it was cool to see four guys so young being so eager and fascinated by the whole radio thing. They are all on Pirates and were really interested so it was a pleasure to have them up there. We rocked a few of Dingey and Alan's beats too which were pumping and got a big reaction! Fair play boys, ye gave me the energy I needed to fight the weather and go hip to da hoppin again! Giant Panda and Ugly Duckling were in town so It's time for a review (follows shortly) A quick ransom note to Val and I was out da door!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- The Hip-Hop Rebels!
- Radio days and nights
- From John Coltrane to Ronaldinho!
- A Tribute to DJ Swing
- And we saw Ugly Ducklings and Giant Pandas!
- A day of jazz, a night of dance!
- Tuesday and Wednesday!
- Welcome to the The Pharcyde!
- Weekend Review!
- In Full Swing!
- Paddy's Day
- The weekend starts now!
- Okay, Here we go!
- ▼ March (13)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com