Friday, June 05, 2009
Jams 8th Birthday tonight
Tonight Jam celebrates it's 8th Birthday party in the Pavilion, it's home for the last 12 months. When we started Jam all those years ago, myself and Joe Kelly, both then at the Savoy, wanted to create a hip-hop night that reflected all aspects of it's culture. We have had loads of different venues and loads of different personnel since then, but ultimately the ethos of the night have remained intact and there are big plans for the future.
In the next two months Jam will welcome hip-hop guests such the Icon the Mic King, N.A.S.A., and Lexicon, while we also have a soul special coming up early July as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Motown records with a big party. Meanwhile, local Cork funk act the Impressionists launch their EP at Jam in mid July, a proud moment as they were one of the acts who have been with us for many years in Jam Junior, the teenage party that helped give many young performers good experience in playing to a big crowd.
Jam Junior is now gone but we are still running events that youngsters can attend, and in late June I'm putting together some good acts for the Future Sound of Cork as part of the Midsummer Festival, while our Lexicon show on July 11th is all ages and will also showcase some of the best Cork talent too. The main Jam is now running twice a month on Fridays with some extra shows thrown in on occasion, and tomorrow we will be playing all the classics from over the years.
Jam has been involved in bringing some excellent acts to Cork and some of the best shows included Roy Ayers, Jazzy Jeff, DJ Noize, The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Noelle, Run DMC and De La Soul. Most of the best Irish acts have performed at Jam too, including The Infomatics, Tu-ki, Ri-Ra, DJ Flip and Rob Kelly while pretty much everyone involved in hip-hop in Cork has played shows there. From the amazing performance of youngsters such as B Wonder, Ross Brown and Scooby at the very first Jam Junior as the Trilogy, to the first shows by Mickey Gatch and Nash, Bony and Jaae and most young Cork rappers, we have had some great shows. GMC won the very first Rap battle at Jam Junior, while Aosdana, Ruby, Brozy and of course our very own breakdancing legends, the Rhythm Rebels, have been part of the family too. Here are some big tunes you might hear tonight!
The Beatnuts-Watch out Now
J-Lo sampled it, but the New York boys created an anthem it on this one
Rich Harrison produced funk bomb from the mid-noughties
The best hip-hop producers of the last 15 years combine
Sunshine Anderson-Heard it all Before
Soul music that was new but sounded vintage at the same time
Raphael Saadiq-Sky Can You Feel Me
Another modern day soul classic from the the genius of Raphael Saadiq
Peanut Butter Wolf and Charizma-Devotion
Stones Throw classic from sadly departed rapper
Kanye West produced gem from the album "Be"
One of soul musics best songwriters with a career highlight
Jay Z-Roc Boyz
The Menahan Street Bands original gets the Jigga treatment
Red Astaire-Follow Me
D'Angelo didn't know much about this latin grooved remix that is still massive
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- 50 years of Motown numbers 31, 30 and 29! The Temp...
- Dwele pays homage to MJ
- 50 years of Motown no. 32 and our Give me the nigh...
- 50 years of Motown no. 33-Frank Wilson "Do I Love ...
- 50 years of Motown no. 34 and one for the late nig...
- 50 years of Motown no. 35 and my Give me the night...
- 50 years of Motown no. 36-Willie Hutch "Brothers G...
- Number 37 of my Motown 50-Smokey Robinson "The Tra...
- and Number 38 of our Motown 50-Stevie Wonder "I wa...
- 50 years of Motown no.39-The Supremes-"Come see ab...
- Tune of the day and a match made in musical heaven...
- 10 more moments of Michael Magic!
- 50 years of Motown No.40 and tune of the day-The J...
- Michael Jackson RIP
- 50 years of Motown no. 41-The Marvellettes "Please...
- Give me the night with the Jones Girls
- 50 Years of Motown No.42-Martha Reeves and the Van...
- Horace Andy, Icon the Mic King, Jams 8th B'day, Ni...
- 50 years of Motown no.43-"Wherever I lay my hat"
- 50 years of Motown no. 44-Barret Strong-"Money tha...
- 50 years of Motown no.45-Stevie Wonder-I don't kno...
- 50 years of Motown no.46 and one for the late nigh...
- 50 years of Motown no.47-The Supremes-I hear a Sym...
- 50 years of Motown No. 48-Michael Jackson "I Wanna...
- 50 years of Motown no.49-Jimmy Ruffin-What Becomes...
- Give me the night with Ben E KIng
- 50 years of Motown no.50-The Temptations-Get Ready...
- Tune of the day-I'm still in love with you
- Give me the night with RedFM-First Choice
- Rap lyric of the day! KRS One
- Tune of the day! Janet Jackson/J Dilla
- Tune of the day! Biggie
- Tune of the day-The O'Jays
- Give me the night with RedFM and Amadou & Mariam
- Tune of the day-2 Pac
- One for the late night crew-Freddie Hubbard
- Give me the night with McFadden and Whitehead
- Tune of the day-Musiq Soulchild
- One for the late night crew
- Give me the night with Jean Carne
- Tune of the day and my 400th blog post!
- One for the late night crew, tune of the day and r...
- Give me the night with RedFM!
- Give me the night with Lyn Collins
- Tune of the day! Craig Mack
- Tune of the day! Lalomie Washburn
- Tune of the day! Gang Starr
- Give em the night with Hot Chocolate!
- Rap lyric of the day-The Beatnuts!
- Eddie Murphy and James Brown
- Tune of the day! Mantronix
- One for the late night crew! The Rolling Stones
- Give me the night with De'Lacy!
- Tune of the day! Geto Boyz
- One for the late night crew! Masta Ace
- Give me the night with Stevie Wonder
- Rap lyric of the day! Sir-Mix-a-Lot
- Tune of the day! The Clash
- Nice Smooth is in your town!
- One for the late night crew! Marvin meets the Mize...
- Rap lyric of the day! Nice & Smooth
- Give me the night with Al Green
- Tune of the day! The Whatnauts
- One for the late night crew! Bobbi Humphrey
- Give me the night with Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
- Rap lyric of the day! A Tribe Called Quest
- Tune of the day! Horace Andy
- Tune of the day! Sister Nancy
- Thanks for coming down to Jam last night!
- Give me the night with Arthur Conley
- Jams 8th Birthday tonight
- Jam Classic Part 15
- Tune of the day (and Jam Classic part 14)
- One for the late night crew! (and Jam Classic part...
- Rap lyric of the day and Jam Classic Part Muthafuc...
- Give me the night (and Jam Classic part 11)
- Tune of the day (and Jam Classic part 10)-Amerie
- Jam Classics Volume 9-Jazmine Sullivan
- Jam Classics Part 8-Ludacris
- Koko Taylor September 28, 1928 – June 3, 2009
- One for the late night crew! Lonnie Liston Smith
- Give em the night with the Beatles
- Jam Classics Part 7-Dilated Peoples
- Loop up that Teddy P and get down to the summer so...
- Tune of the day (and Jam Classic Part 6)
- One for the late night crew! Minnie Riperton
- Give me the night (and Jam Classic part 5)-Sunshin...
- Rap lyric of the day (and Jam Classic part 4)-Peop...
- Jam Classics Part 3-T.I.
- Tune of the day (and Jam Classic 2)-Jill Scott
- One for the late night crew (or is it five?)-Curti...
- Jam Classics Part 1
- Tune of the day (on Galway Bay)! Zapp
- ▼ June (94)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com