Monday, March 30, 2009
Yo Latino paves way for Carnivale this Friday!
Yo Latino was a night that ran in the Half Moon for about 4 years at the turn of the decade in the late 90's. Originally it started off with DJ's such as Paul Murphy and guests and I ended up as a resident fairly shortly afterwards with DJ's such as Paul Tarpey, Aran and Ray from Shake and lots more. As a self proclaimed non expert in latin music it was challenging and i used spin a lot of latin based soul, funk, disco, house and hip-hop with the more conventional flavours from South America and even New York. It was a fantastic night and I learnt a lot from it-This Friday there is a similar night running in the Pavilion called Carnivale and all proceeds go to charity. Dress up and party like it's the dead of summer as we combine Carnivale with Jam on Friday in the Pavilion!
Stan Getz-Saudade Vem Correndo
Tito Puente-Oye Coma Va
Red Astaire-Follow Me
Ray Baretto-Ban Ban Qeure
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- Hip-hop reggae!
- My newmix
- Yo Latino paves way for Carnivale this Friday!
- Five days of work, one whole day of play!
- Tune of the day!
- A couple for the breakdancers ahead of our party t...
- Theophilus London hitting Jam April 17th at the Pa...
- Bad news and a tiny bit of good news!
- The most sampled artists in hip-hop?
- The Disco era that lives on!
- Maturing better than the finest wine!
- Things done changed!
- Jam March line-up
- ▼ March (14)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com