Friday, June 02, 2006
Activate youth Theatre!
Last night I had five youngsters from Activate Youth Theatre join me on Teenage Thursdays! They are celebrating 12 years of activity with a brand new premises in Blackpool and I was delighted to invite them to discuss some of the exciting projects they have got coming up.
There have been some outstanding success stories from Activate Youth Theatre, which is part of Graffiti Theatre Company's Outreach programme co-ordinated by Geraldine O"Neill, who brought the group to the station! The likes of Orla Fitzgerald and Eileen Walsh have all been through this, as have Tom Creed and Ciaran Fitzpatrick, who are both gonna be heavily involved in Activate's "Home" project, created in conjunction with these youngsters, this summer.
I'm by no means a theatre buff (I did co-ordinate the music for low brow success story "Bouncers" and Neil Pearson's "Kvetch" by Steven Berkoff however!) but I know a lot of the people involved in Cork and I'm a great admire of what people like Graffiti and Corcadorca have done and are continuing to do. I love what Tom and Ciaran did with "Soap" a few years ago and most Cork Theatre I've seen has been been of an excellent standard. It doesn't suprise me one bit why the likes of Cillian Murphy have become so successful and I'm delighted he can stroll though Cork now as exactly the same person he was when the Sons of Mr Green Genes used play in the mid 90's! There remains a feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg though and with groups like Activate Youth Theatre so vibrant the future looks bright!
They can be contacted at (021) 4397111 and email@example.com and at www.graffit.ie
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- An international star in the making!
- African Irish Community Gospel Choir Competition
- Jam Junior kicks off Cork Hip-hop Week!
- The Marquee is looking good!
- Izzo is da Bizzo!
- Cork Hiphop Week 2006!
- Republic Get Loose at RedFM!
- Portugal for the World Cup!
- Worldwide comes to Cork!
- Activate youth Theatre!
- ▼ June (10)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com