Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Worldwide comes to Cork!
Really sorry bout the delay I've been really busy watching the football! Giles Peterson has been a big influence on me for many years. Back in the early 90's I used track down bootleg radio shows of his, any of his music columns or top tens and buy his compilations. I've always had full respect for his taste in music and there are very few people I would look up to as tastemakers so this means a lot. He's turned me on to loads of latin, jazz, soul and house and still comes correct every time. I'm not gonna go into too much of a detailed review because it was nearly two weeks ago but there was a good balanced discussion of what people thought on the Peoples Republic of Cork website
The link is
Copy and paste it if it doesn't show properly!
I've seen Giles many times in the 90's and he was always one step ahead of the game, sometimes I reckon people want him to be going back rather than pushing things forward but ultimately, the set he spun was a good balance of brazilian and latin flavours mixed with hip-hop, soul and a bit of house/disco. What some people don't always appreciate is that the Savoy is a big venue and when it's not that full it's a pretty good achivement keeping the floor ticking over. If we played for ourselves or the other DJ's it would probably just empty out. I thought Giles did alright and stuck a good balance, and in fairness must of the comments in the discussion above were balanced too.
I went for a bite to eat with him earlier in the night and we had a great chat about music and football, he, as you might know, is a huge Arsenal fan while I'm Manchester United. Again, in his defense, he was a bit tired and told me he wasn't totally up for it before hand but it's important to be professional and I was personally well pleased with the gig. Check out Pure Cork Boy's blog for another take on it at www.purecorkboy.com His blogs are very interesting so dip into the archives if ya get a chance!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- An international star in the making!
- African Irish Community Gospel Choir Competition
- Jam Junior kicks off Cork Hip-hop Week!
- The Marquee is looking good!
- Izzo is da Bizzo!
- Cork Hiphop Week 2006!
- Republic Get Loose at RedFM!
- Portugal for the World Cup!
- Worldwide comes to Cork!
- Activate youth Theatre!
- ▼ June (10)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com