Thursday, April 20, 2006
An evening with KVX!
KVX joined me on Teenage Thursdays and it was great fun! These five young girls took time out from their studies (as if they minded!) to come up to RedFM for a chat about their recent gig at Coolaboola, their appearances in the RTE TV show (coincidentally known as Jam) and their general musical background. Again, from talking to them, straight away I knew they were gonna be great on air, and we had an interesting chat about rock n'roll females before we opened the mic to everyone else. From Kim Gordan to Tanya Donnelly, I've always been a fan of rock chicks but there was one band that kept reminding me of KVX.
I finally remembered who it was, Lucious Jackson! They were never that big but I was a huge fan in the 90's and saw them at Loolapooloza in the United States back in the day! They were really raw and had great songs and though their subsequent career dissapointed me a little, I used love their early material! KVX don't really sound like Lucious Jackson (and they would have been too young to remember them) but there is definitely an echo of them in their own work, which is really impressive considering their young ages! With five excited girls we decided to adopt an interesting system for questions-At their request, when I asked a question the girl who wanted to answer had to raise their hand, which was kinda funny! Inevitably, it went out the window and it became one big clamour for the mic but that's good, because it shows that they have something to say and I found them very interesting to talk to. I played a few of their own tunes from Coolaboola and the girls helped me with tune selection aswell, delighted to be playing two of the big rock tracks at the moment (by The Zutons and the Kooks).
They were buzzing and enjoying the texts feedback and the show just flew, which again is a credit to KVX. Catch them on Network 2 on the first of May at 11am and check out the footage of Coolaboola! This Thursday I have an excellent young hip-hop group from Ballincollig called Aosdana.
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- Ballincollig hip-hop and California soul!
- Jesus Walks on the River Lee!
- An evening with KVX!
- Coolaboola Birthday/Babyshambles/Radio Soulwax!
- Jam Junior Part 1
- Jam Junior Part 2
- Walk Tall
- Stompin at the Savoy!
- The Return of The Magnificent!
- Loose Change proves very useful!
- The world at our fingertips!
- Hey Ho, Let's Go!
- ▼ April (12)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com