Monday, April 03, 2006
Hey Ho, Let's Go!
Here I am on Monday trying to remember the weekend. I knew it was a good idea giving up the drink! Friday was spent in town and on the radio before I headed to the Savoy for the GMC launch. Fridays are much quiter in general but there was a healthy crowd and the launch went well-GMC and all the Hip-Hop Rebels (Pic on right) performed to an enthusiastic crowd and Colm Kenefick took over on the decks after. Since I was there Colm asked me to spin aswell so we both DJ'd which was cool, cause it was just the Mezzazine and Foyer open and it was an intimate vibe. It was rocking pretty much from the off and there was all sorts going on, including some impromtu breakdancing comps by the Rhythm Rebels and some other not so well practised participants!
I relaxed during the early part of Saturday and headed to Red for 7Pm for my show. I had a good show and a great reaction to my Jazzy Jeff Competition, ahead of his return to Cork this Friday. I played some of his mixes too and remembered why I think he's the greatest DJ in the world-Can't wait for Friday! My Rapture gig (pictured left) was full early and I decided to mix it up every 20 minutes and play a bit of everything. Highlights included loads of old skool hip-hop (LL Cool J, Cypress Hill, Eric B and Rakim, Special Ed), some nice soul (Curtis Mayfield, Supremes, Marvin Gaye) and some rock stuff aswell (Blur, Ramones and even Bill Haley!) Afterwards I headed back to a friends apartment with some other buddies and hung out till way too late.
Missed my first alarm call on Sunday morn and barely got up in time for footy. Not ideal preparation for my first game back in ages and after only a couple of hours sleep I was feeling groggy at the start. It's only non-competitive five-a-side though and I was soon back in the groove and my ankle held up okay so I was happy. Sunday afternoon and evening were spent relaxing at home. And here we go again It's the start of a new week and there's work to be done!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- Ballincollig hip-hop and California soul!
- Jesus Walks on the River Lee!
- An evening with KVX!
- Coolaboola Birthday/Babyshambles/Radio Soulwax!
- Jam Junior Part 1
- Jam Junior Part 2
- Walk Tall
- Stompin at the Savoy!
- The Return of The Magnificent!
- Loose Change proves very useful!
- The world at our fingertips!
- Hey Ho, Let's Go!
- ▼ April (12)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com