Friday, April 14, 2006
Jam Junior Part 1
Jam Junior rocked on Thursday! A lot of the people there reckon it was one of the best ones yet and I have to agree. I set up Jam Junior four years ago in the Savoy. I had been involved in teenage discos for years in Sir Henrys, but I always felt that the kids were treated like crap at them and shoved in and outside the the door as a mere money making scheme. With Jam Junior I took that on board and made sure it would be different. A lot of youngsters are involved in the promotion of the event and they also DJ, rap, sing and do just about everything else at the event too.
It's a specialist music event, one of the first of it's kind anywhere, and has boasted guests of the calibre of Trevor Nelson from MTV's The Lick in the last few years. Generally, I keep it to local and upcoming acts though and it has formed the launch pad for everyone from GMC, Bony and Jaae, Dutch Gold Kid, to my residents Suzi K and Neil Mulcahy, Aosdana, Claire Spillane, The Trilogy featuring Ross Brown, Scooby and B Wonder, Peter the Kid, Mickey Gatch and lots lots more. This year Jam itself celebrates five years of hip-hop and soul while Jam Junior will have it's fourth birthday!
We had a really good line-up at this one. Hoopy mixed up the tunes with Scratchy and Neil in the foyer while Suzi K warmed up for myself in the main room. We had loads of live stuff and MC Squared, Jennie and KissMeQuick all rocked, as did Samir and some of his Aosdana crew, aswell as Brozy (Dutch Gold), Mickey Gatch and Bony. The Impressionists went down really well and even though Cliff had rapped there a few times, the addition of Kev on drums and Denis bass gave the full live band a much fuller appeal. These guys are evry young but already sounding like a cross between Funkadelic, Prince, Snoop and Cameo so watch them in the future! Check the pics in this and the blog below. Well done to everyone involved , it was a rocking night!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- Ballincollig hip-hop and California soul!
- Jesus Walks on the River Lee!
- An evening with KVX!
- Coolaboola Birthday/Babyshambles/Radio Soulwax!
- Jam Junior Part 1
- Jam Junior Part 2
- Walk Tall
- Stompin at the Savoy!
- The Return of The Magnificent!
- Loose Change proves very useful!
- The world at our fingertips!
- Hey Ho, Let's Go!
- ▼ April (12)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com