Saturday, April 08, 2006
Loose Change proves very useful!
Loose Change joined me on tonight for Teenage Thursdays! This young trio are based in and around the Douglas area and their drummer Tiz (Paul) is a cousin of one of my cousins. He contacted me recently and asked for a shot at Teenage Thursdays. I didn’t really know Paul or the gang but although I’d heard some good things about the band I wasn’t expecting them to be as good as I heard when they played me their demo once we hit the studio.
Even before that I knew these guys were gonna be good on air as they were really enthusiastic and the four of us got involved in a big chat about music. They told me about how they actively promote their gigs and music on Bebo and I was impressed. I always admire people who are pro-active and try and hustle for themselves. The music industry is cut-throat and you will get nothing for nothing so you have to use every positive angle you can to get exposure. Bebo is just another angle and I’m glad these youngsters see it as an opportunity to promote their stuff.
On air we continued in much the same way and the lads got a great response. Some of the texts were really funny and the few tunes we played got a massive reaction, their tribute to former TV icon Bosco becoming a bit of a cult number!!!! Loose Change are young, vibrant and energetic and I reckon they will be ones to watch in Cork. They were very interesting to talk to and their music rocks and I wish them all the best in the future!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- Ballincollig hip-hop and California soul!
- Jesus Walks on the River Lee!
- An evening with KVX!
- Coolaboola Birthday/Babyshambles/Radio Soulwax!
- Jam Junior Part 1
- Jam Junior Part 2
- Walk Tall
- Stompin at the Savoy!
- The Return of The Magnificent!
- Loose Change proves very useful!
- The world at our fingertips!
- Hey Ho, Let's Go!
- ▼ April (12)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com