Saturday, April 08, 2006
The Return of The Magnificent!
Friday was one of those days where it was all go. I was pretty anxious all day (as I always am on big days) because there was a lot that go wrong. I was more at ease when I found out that Jazzy Jeff had arrived safely in Cork and after a brief chat on the phone we confirmed that we was gonna come to Red at 7PM for an interview and stuff.
I got all my records ready for that night and sorted out some other stuff before my show at 5. By half 7 Jazzy and company still hadn’t arrived and since my show only goes till 8PM on Fridays I was slightly worried. Still though, one of the major things I’ve learned over the years is to always stay calm and on air I acted as if I knew all the time he wasn’t gonna be late. He arrived with his sound engineer Darnell at about 7.45 and we cut straight to our interview.
It was great seeing Jeff again, there is no-one I think more highly off in the music business and he is a warm and very interesting individual. I never have too much time for superstars and divas but this guy is a million miles away from that image. When he first came to Cork a few years ago I kept my distance till after the gig, as I didn’t want to be filling him with bullshit before he knew that our club and out night was the real deal. Of course after that gig he knew how special Cork was and he was even more enthusiastic than usual as he provided me with excellent radio drops and signed about 10 record covers!
He developed a genuine love of Cork since and he talked off this both on and off the air on Friday. He was delighted to hear some of his classic tracks on air and he told me how he hadn’t heard some of the ones form “the Magnificent” in awhile! In the cab on the way back to the hotel he explained that “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley hadn’t really taken off in the U.S. yet and it was his first time hearing it- Later on I gave him one of my copies and imagined the damage he will be doing throughout the world with it in the next few months! After dinner at the hotel it was on to the club!
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (93)
- ► 2009 (390)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2007 (27)
- Ballincollig hip-hop and California soul!
- Jesus Walks on the River Lee!
- An evening with KVX!
- Coolaboola Birthday/Babyshambles/Radio Soulwax!
- Jam Junior Part 1
- Jam Junior Part 2
- Walk Tall
- Stompin at the Savoy!
- The Return of The Magnificent!
- Loose Change proves very useful!
- The world at our fingertips!
- Hey Ho, Let's Go!
- ▼ April (12)
- I'm a DJ from Cork in Ireland. I work with RedFM, presenting Red Drive, The Hitlist and my specialist show, Black on Red. I'm probably best known for being one of the main hip-hop/soul DJ's in Cork and Ireland. I've been DJing in Cork since the early 90's in legendary clubnights such as Sweat in Sir Henrys, Mor Disco, Free La Funk, Yo Latino and also Jam and Jam Junior at the Savoy and the Pavilion. I've also held down long term residencies at clubs around Ireland such as Brown Sugar at the Kitchen in Dublin, U-Turn at Ri Ra in Dublin, Jazz Juice at the GPO in Galway, Thompson Garage in Belfast, the Soul Clinic, Dee-Bop, Meltdown and Mo Bounce in Limerick and i've played abroad in the United States and the U.K. on numerous occasions. I also write a music column for the Evening Echo and i'm a regular contributor to the U.K.'s Blues and Soul, the longest running black music magazine in the world. These days i run the Pavilion, a music venue in Cork, which hosts my Jam night every few Fridays http://www.pavilioncork.com also you can catch me at http://djstevieg.podomatic.com